Thursday, July 17, 2008

Random Thought: Pain From 1-10

I'll make this quick, I have no choice. Today in half an hour or so I have my first appointment with the hand surgeon. I finally surrendered to the pain, instability and swelling in my right hand. I couldn't let it go any longer, I mean that's my beer holding, bird flipping, drunk night out on the dance floor "woo hoo" hand. It is also my cursive teaching, hair brushing, tiny finger nails polishing, painting, drawing, writing, designing hand. So, yes I'm sore in every sense of the word.

Aside of dreading the outcome, I know he's going to ask me, "On a scale of 1-10 how much pain are you in?"That is the topic of today's random thought; something about pain and figures, pain and logical reasoning just doesn't compute in this mad mind of mine. From broken bones, to childbirth, to the removal of the aforementioned un-needed, uncooperative mechanics; doctors continue to ask that question. I just want to tell him, "It hurts like hell, it hurts like a bitch." Or, better yet, "Come closer let me show you".

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

pain is pain doc truth is it hurts like 100 so leave me alone and prescribe me a good happy pill so i could go the hell on!!

Mequet said...

Wait, what did I miss? What's wrong with your hand? That sucks that it hurts a lot. As Major Payne would say, "Want me to teach you a little trick take your mind offa that pain?". Heehee. But really, I'm sorry you're dealing with that.

Patrizia said...

I think come close I'll show you would work!

I'm sorry it hurts, I really hope you feel better soon!

:(

Unknown said...

LOL, I have always hated that question. How can anyone even answer it? Is one - doesn't hurt at all, 2 - hurts a tiny bit, 3 - hurts a tiny bit more than that.... 10 - hurts like hell? I just always say 11 - fix me now.

Hope you get fixed quick, so you can go back to holding beer and flipping the bird with painted nails!!

Unknown said...

i was just thinking today, "what if something happened to my hands?"

also, what you say about the whole pain scale thing reminds me of a conversation i was having yesterday concerning work and pay. somehow time and energy put in on a job and receiving an hourly wage to do so just doesn't seem appropriate to me. i mean, we're talking about a person giving their essence...themselves, their energy., and an hourly wage is supposed to suffice?

*shrug*


best wished with the hands.

High Desert Diva said...

Heh, heh...come closer...

The Bunny Maker said...

I really hope your hand recovers! I have pains in my (thank goodness) left hand - not sure what its from - but I worry so much about losing the ability to draw and paint. My mother is crippled with arthritis and I worry its coming my way via my left hand - and i'm not even that old!
seriously though - do everything you can to get that fixed.
Good thoughts coming your way....

miznyc said...

oh man. how did it go?

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin