Monday, July 14, 2008

Altered tins, Muffin tins & Tzatziki

I'm on a jewelry making hiatus, when designing feels forced and starts to feel like work, I break. Lately, I just can't find any beads and findings to make me swoon; so, I went paper shopping. If I've never mentioned it previously, I love paper crafting. I guess it ties in well with my love of writing and it's the perfect break from jewelry creating because it is so inexpensive. Beads and metals can get costly especially once you've designed a number of items and are waiting for them to sell.


I spent the afternoon listening to my Pandora station and working on altered tins. Sara Tavares, Nina Simone, Omara Portuondo, Bob Marley, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix and The Roots. I came up with 4 designs ironically enough none of which include the papers purchased during my shopping spree. All four designs were created using pre-existing stock; mostly scraps. I'm pretty impressed. Measuring just 3.75 x 2x5" they pack quite an artistic little punch! Once they've been sealed with Liquitex (great stuff) they'll be ready for sale.

And lastly, I did pause to fulfill my Muffin Tin Monday obligation and feed the family. It was Greek night here at the Honey House; we dined on vegetarian gyros complete with fresh fruit and my world (Well, my little world) famous authentic (I grew up in Astoria, NYC) Tzatziki!



6 comments:

High Desert Diva said...

I tend to go a little crazy in paper stores...

I like your fern tin especially. A friend of mine made one for me. I use it to hold advil, etc. in my purse. Quite handy.

Dinner looked yummy.

Vintage Tracy said...

These look so cool! I love the idea of taking a break and doing something different, out of your "normal routine" to get back to feeling creative.

Dinner looks delish!

Unknown said...

**ooooh...nina simone***

i'm not a fan of forced designing either and have been known to go for weeks without even touching my fabric and sewing machine.

the only thing about it, though, is that in those moments, i don't go to another craft. i tend to just spend way too much time on the internet. i'll have to get back into painting or something.

(and i'm also not of fan of putting dinero into material and sewing sewing sewing, then having stuff just sit around not selling...)

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

again u shold make some stuff for dogs

Rosebud Collection said...

Will be waiting to see what pictures you take..I know you will find some beautiful desert flowers..Paper is beautiful..and the meal looks great..

Ana said...

mmm that looks so tasty!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin