Monday, October 27, 2008

Flowers, Butterflies & Friendship

Untitled, an ATC-T.Allen-Mercado 10/2008


The butterfly is a flying flower,
The flower a tethered butterfly.

-Ponce Denis Écouchard Lebrun



The past few days-it may have even been a week, I've been tethered by feelings of hopelessness and unexplained sadness. You know, sometimes I feel so myself, that I forget it's the same me who lives with depression. And then it happens, it creeps up and lassos you. First, you feel a bit smothered. You wriggle about anxiously, exhaustively as it tightens its hold. You realize, resistance is of no use. Surrender to the season, and pray it'll soon pass.

It's passed! I'm up, I've cleaned, I've cooked. My eyebrows have been shaped, my hair has been lathered and loved in sweet almond oil and black tea extracts. I used the phone, I went for a ride. I cracked a smile, told a joke. I laughed out loud, I am back.

You guys, my blogging friends are greatly appreciated, your comments, your e-mails, your own happy blog posts have all been instrumental in the process. I sincerely heart all of you.

And, I guess you all are digging me too. Last week while piddling in the basement (code for the taupes), I was nominated-not once, but twice, for this illustrious award:

The Proximidade award is very roughly translated from Portuguese to mean, "This blog invests and believes in proximity." Closeness, as in the bond shared between friends. I'm honored to receive this award and pass it on to all of my readers. Perhaps there are more than eight of you, maybe less- no worries, blog love is plentiful and low in saturated fat. Special thanks to Ms. Bar B. over at a Place of Comfort and Denene of My Brown Baby for sharing this award and their friendship. Group hug.


Peace and happiness


13 comments:

A Cuban In London said...

To continue with the Portuguese theme, 'muito saudade pra voce'.

Greetings from London.

Darius T. Williams said...

Awww - I love group hugs! Right back at ya!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

High Desert Diva said...

Welcome back to happy days!

Congrats on your (double) award.

Your ATC and quote...lovely.

Anonymous said...

glad you are back in the sunshine

Sherry said...

Fate sent me to your blog, as my own fog has also finally lifted.

Welcome back,I am feeling refreshed as well.

w said...

glad you're feeling smiley.

Daisy said...

Hooray for smiles and laughter! I'm glad you feel happier, and congratulations on your award. (and thanks for the nice link).

Barbara said...

You are extremely welcome!

And thanks for that hug, I sure did need it this morning. I might have to put the first part of your post on a t-shirt!

Glad that "the taupes" let you loss for a while... and right in time for Halloween =)

Mequet said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better. And we have something new in common. The state of my eyebrows is a fairly good indicator of my self-esteem level as seems to be the case with you also:)

Jennifer said...

Glad you're back too! You described that feeling of being you and the when depression slips in...the whole scenario so beautifully. What a blessing to know that it can pass and I am so happy that it did.

Congrats on all your blog honors too...Awesome!

Unknown said...

yaay! the taupes! blue has been liberated.

great to hear you've returned to the happier you. doesn't it feel so good???

that card=hotness.

Anne said...

Welcome back to the land of the living!! I'm just getting back there myself. When I read what you wrote about how the depression sets on, I realize how much I struggle with it myself. I've always kind of had an inkling about its effect on my life, but somehow seeing it written in someone else's words helped it sink in. Thank you so much for this post!

Anonymous said...

black tea really revitalizes your hair.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin