Thursday, September 11, 2008

Random Thought: Raggedy Ann, Andy and Holly Hobbie

What ever happened to these guys?

photo credits: www.liveandlearn.com,http://www.flickr.com/photos/hellomorning


This morning during literature, Yael reads the word, "ragged"-but she mispronounces it so that the suffix mirrors that of walked or talked. Ancient mom that I am, apparently-I correct her and say, "It's pronounced ragged, y'know like Raggedy Ann". Crickets, blank stare, head tilts to the right as eyebrows are raised. "Who?" The lesson continues.

Admittedly, I am eager to get to the end of the chapter where she will answer a few questions and summarize the text so I can scurry over to my PC and find out what happened to my friends, Raggedy Ann & Andy! Oh! And, Holly Hobbie too! These were my very best friends; as an only child, dolls are friends and these guys were true blue. Much to my disappointment they have been "improved". I can't bear to post the pics, tragic-just plain tragic.

I showed Yael a picture, she wasn't impressed. "Oh yeah, kinda like my Super Size Groovy Girl but not...they're like funny looking," she says. Sigh, crickets, blank stare, head tilts to the right as eyebrows are raised...

12 comments:

A Cuban In London said...

Oh, English, English, such a difficult language and yet so beautiful! Oh, yes, 'ragged'! Confusing? Yes! Mind-blowing? Absolutely! But, oh, do I love these little moments!

Greetings from London.

Smarty Pants said...

I loved Raggedy Ann and Andy and Holly Hobbie. I realize now why I have grown to detest dolls so much as an adult... they don't look like they used to. Thanks for the trip to memory island!

High Desert Diva said...

It's a wonder any of us can pronounce anything....


Big fan of Raggedy Ann & Andy....

Anonymous said...

I LOVED my Raggedy Ann...

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

i forgot all about them kind of dolls
have a great weekend

Barbara said...

Yep, dolls are much different these days. If it doesn't talk, cry, or pee, kids take a pass.

This reminds me of a doll that I had growing up called Cricket. She was like a Chucky doll, only female. Seriously!! Can you imagine having seen Child's Place as a child and going to bed just waiting for Cricket to jump on top of you demanding your soul??? Lol

Nosideup said...

I didn't know the right pronunciation myself!
How's Lupe?

Unknown said...

I had a Raggedy Ann doll and Holly Hobby too. I liked RA better. Today's toys are like the Bionic Man - "bigger, stronger, faster." Gone are the days of quaint toys.

Unknown said...

lol @ it being kinda like her doll but actually not.

i was a big fan of dolls once. it kinda went away after i lost my favorite one during a family move. her hair changed colors with this lil wand thingy. so so cool! none could replace her. :-(

Anonymous said...

I loved my Raggedy Ann doll, that love only to be surpassed by my Snoopy.

If only comfort could be found in such simple ways as an adult. ah.

P.S. Thanks for the nice comment on my blog.

Sticks and Stones Hemp said...

I have a raggedy Andy doll, of course its not one of the old ones, its only about 9 years old. I wish I could find the old ones my grandma made for me!

Jewelry Rockstar said...

I love raggedy ann and andy. They were the only white dolls I had. It seems like I had to get new ones every Christmas.

One more thing how do you pronounce "beloved?"

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin