Monday, May 17, 2010

Back to School

Tree-free banana leaf (abaca) notebook and used texts-I'm a green learning machine.

I am a student again. Yep, I am taking classes at a local institution of higher learning which will remain unnamed lest I limit my ability to rant if/as necessary. Although thus far, it's been an enjoyable three-week run.

I bet you're wondering what I'm taking. Well, I'm taking cultural anthropology...and as your face begins to contort with befuddlement, the answer is simply this-I don't know enough- Even less than I thought I knew, I've quickly found. -about the conditions which shape "the human condition". Will I disappear into the jungle and become a modern day cannibal once Yael Rose leaves the nest? Perhaps, I'm sure by then there will be a preponderance of fine lager, decent pizza and Diet Coke in the jungle. Sad, but likely. However, in truth I have no worldly plans at this juncture of my academic career; I just want to continue learning, growing and being.

Structured, formal education is one of those areas in which even I'm not exactly sure where I stand; this is evidenced in my un/homeschooling. That being said, it is far more practical (and cost-efficient) of me to take mixed-media online college courses than to pack the family up and head to the rain forest. Will I glean the same level of knowledge sans the experience? Of course not, but I'll know more than I did three weeks ago which is far less than I thought I knew already. Look at that, it's working.

So, what's new with you?
Peace and education

6 comments:

High Desert Diva said...

Yes. Perfect choice. LEARN

Lisa Abdul-Quddus said...

I just want to continue learning, growing and being. (I love this statement.)

I think it is a wonderful move. Good for you!

Anonymous said...

So proud of you T., eventhough its obvious that you DO know everything all ready. Seriously, it's a huge step to go back to school. Love. Learn. Live.

Barbara said...

Cultural Anthro huh? Me likey... I almost did a minor in Anthropology and I am rooming with an Anthropologist friend =). So, in other words, Anthro is great. And Socio-cultural Anthro has a special place in my heart.

New with me? Well... got my brakes fixed... YAY! That's about it =)

Unknown said...

same reason i went back and am (on and off) pursuing a degree in english: i like to learn...and have an affinity for those subjects.

i like "green learning machine"

hmmm...as for me, not too much actually!

Jewelry Rockstar said...

cool thing to study. Congrats. Can't to see what shows up on your blog.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin