Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Holy Chicken Shit!

The Tyson foods coverage -not the decision itself, is the last straw for me and I must break my golden silence. My readers know I don't engage in socio-political banter much, but this is an exception.

Let me preface this by saying I'm not a fear preaching hate monger, so if that is what you came here looking for pursuant to your google or other search engine search, hit the back button and exit stage left.

My husband and I own a business; a private sector business like Tyson foods. We are apolitical, pacifists. We vacation from the birthday of our youngest child through our wedding anniversary annually and again for a similar stretch of time 6 months later beginning at the birthday of our 2nd child through the winter solstice. All of our employees are given the same days off because this is our business and the model works for us. Whether they use the time for worship, gluttonous consumption of overcooked animal carcasses or stick a feather in their ass and call it rigatoni-it is their personal choice. From a business perspective if the given model doesn't work for you- one of the other wonderful perks of private sector employment is, you can quit. Yup seek other, more suitable employment.

As native New Yorkers, we are familiar with the many Judeo Christian holidays observed in the tri-state area. These same holidays aren't observed in other areas, matter of fact, Jewish religious holiday observances seem nil here in Arizona. As more and more residents of the (gulp) Land of the Free are engaging new philosophies and embracing (shudder) religious and cultural diversity doesn't it make sense that our business models and practices evolve as well? Did I miss the non-Christian disclaimer? And please don't burden me with the "This nation was founded on Christian principles" argument unless you can point me to the exact passages in the good book where it reads, "Thou shalt not kill unless"...

Yes, it's the working man's day, but really-who honestly cares about Labor Day other than it's the last 3 day weekend for a while unless you're lucky enough to get the Friday after Thanksgiving off. Leftovers Friday, it's what makes America America. If your feathers are ruffled with Tyson foods, why not really make a difference. Wink.

4 comments:

Mary Richmond said...

this is an excellent and thought provoking post as well as a confirmation of your values--loved reading it ;-)

Mequet said...

Uhhhhhhh.....wow. I can't even begin to formulate a response to some of the comments left on that article by so-called Christians. Oh wait, yes I can!!! Just what the hell is wrong with embracing all religions and giving them their own Holy days off of work? How does this negatively affect anyone? Oh, silly me, I forgot that the sole purpose of Islam is to destroy our great country!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!! The righteous indignation, aided in no small part by a whole truckload of ignorance, is just freaking BEYOND ME!!!!

T.Allen said...

Thanks for commenting, this post sat idle longer than most. It made me wonder if I was alone out there...*wipes brow*

Anonymous said...

Wow. I had not even heard that Tyson Foods had moved beyond the 18th century and into the future. I applaud them for their bravery and common sense. Thanks for the information - I'm not sure where I've been for the past two weeks as far as current events are concerned. Great article and absolutely terrific blog. I'll come back often; It's quite refreshing in many ways. Peace, Light and Love . . . CordieB.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin