Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Paste, Drugs and Rock & Roll

Today was Papier Mache Tuesday. There are many many themes in our house, I find cooperation is at an all time high when there's a theme involved. I wonder where she gets that. Anyway, so we mix the paste, tune into my Pandora station and begin. Art is probably my favorite subject to teach since the lack of structure allows for the wonders of free thinking and fresh ideas.




While layering away at our papier mache, Yael- growing tired of my Pandora station, commences to tell me about some of her musical taste; starting with Ali & AJ and ending with Lindsay Lohan. I lapsed into a "like-induced coma" somewhere in between awakening as she said, "Lindsay Lohan used to like be kinda cool until she started using drugs". My eyes bulge and the warmth of a proud parent moment fills my belly. Stay with me for a minute in this moment because concurring on what qualifies as cool is an elusive and fleeting phenomenon. And resume..."Oh she uses drugs, does she", I say quizzically. "Yeah, and she sells them too and [my friend] says they gave her freckles". I laughed and went on to explain that while drugs can drastically alter your appearance and judgment, I don't think freckles are a side effect. (Was she selling drugs too?)

Now I'm not one of those parents that gets all indignant about celebrity debacles because I'm the role model here, but the next thing she told me about Little Miss Lohan did it. "Even if she uses drugs, she made one really cool song that I really love". "Oh yeah, what is it"? She pauses my Pandora, goes to YouTube and pulls this up:





Oh no she didn't! We spent the rest of the afternoon listening to Stevie Knicks and later Fleetwood Mac. "Did you know, that Lindsay Lohan was a thief too? She sure is, the drugs made her do it"! (I kid, we covered copyright law, but I was tempted). It isn't a bad cover, but some things are sacred!
Peace

16 comments:

A Cuban In London said...

Agree. Some things are very, very, very sacred! You were too kind to Miss Lohan. That version sucks! Sorry, it's my honest opinion.

Greetings from London.

Kathy said...

I always loved it when my kids LOVED a song and I could say I loved that song back in the 60's! Woo hoo! Please don't let the cat out of the bag about drugs and freckles.....geez I'm covered with them and I thought no one would ever find out why! :)

Annie Pazoo said...

This, like, made me smile? 'Cuz, like, it's the same conversation that my Kate has with me.

Cecile/DreamCreateRepeat said...

I'm happy to say mine is a Lohan-free house, so I didn't realize she covered that song. The minute the video started I thought, "Oh, no she didn't!"

lori vliegen said...

i read recently that lindsay lohan wants to make (and star in) a movie about stevie nicks' life....stevie said "over my dead body"! some things are sacred, and the Mac is one of them! :)

Hana Njau-Okolo said...

Great conversation between you two. Makes me think about a convo I had with my 13 year old god daughter just this past weekend. We drove past a car with all its windows shut, spied an adult puffing away at a cigarette; there was a child in a booster seat in the back.

I commented that the poor kid's inhaling all that second hand smoke. And she goes:

"I've been in a car like that before. It's like I know a lot of people who do that but, like they are really cool. They like just picked up bad habits..."

I agree with you that "concurring on what qualifies as cool is an elusive and fleeting phenomenon."

Or am I being harshly judgemental here?

When she said that, I immediately remembered the day my 10 year old son hastily covered his mouth and held his breath as we walked past someone smoking cigarettes in front of Walmart...

'nyway, I love Papier Mache. When can we see the finished product??

:-)

Mama Shujaa

MBB Founder and Editor Denene Millner said...

Lawd, I just had a similar conversation with my 9-year-old last night... we were watching and episode of Everybody Hates Chris, in which he's forced to hide weed for a drug dealer... it was a great episode, and opened the door for me to ask my daughter if kids in her (FOURTH GRADE!) class ever talk about drugs. She said yes *insert image of Denene having an heart attack here!* She said that they talked about it a lot when Michael Phelps got busted with the bong.

Thanks Phelps.

I followed up by asking her if she knew what drugs do to you, and she ran down a list of horrible things... they make your lungs black and your teeth yellow and make you feel horrible. That's my girl!

Oh, and nothing makes me happier than when my 16-year-old comes to me with the latest hip hop song, talking about how dope it is, and I can run him over to my iTunes list and play the ORIGINAL beats the rappers keep stealing. It always blows his mind.

As usual, great post, my love. I just adore your voice and sensibilities.

Kwana said...

Freckles huh? Great conversation. Lindsey was on the news today for her messy house. She's a trip and a half.

M Ayers said...

That's what I love about homeschooling. You can enter your child's thoughts and share with them while informally learning a little bit of everything.
I totally forgot about how to do papier mache...

I hope school is done for the day - you covered music appreciation, art, history, genetics (freckles), health ed, copyright laws/plagiarism, and a little bit of current events!~and its still morning. WHEW!

Unknown said...

ha! i can't get past the idea of lindsay lohan selling drugs. for some reason it cracks me up. (whether or not she did or does, i don't know)

"some things are sacred"

agreed!

Jennifer said...

I love this post...it seems like art brings out these conversations and oh gosh with that fleeting moment of concurring, trying to use the teachable moment without being the preachy judge...it ain't easy :)

I have to agree, although I enjoy Lindsay's voice for some of her own songs, no one can do Stevie...so given that it was ok, but...

Jewelry Rockstar said...

Lindsay Lohan...I wish she were on the right track. Concerning old school music being remade, my mom used to go on and on about "this and that is a remake," now I feel just like her. sigh.

Shannon said...

O NOOOOOOOOO! She DIDn'T!!! What was she thinking? I love that your daughter used to really like Lindsay until she found out she does drugs! That is a reflection of fabulous parenting! Good job, mama! Funny about the freckles! My little girl got hers from the sun kissing her beautiful little face! :)

Barbara said...

LOL. Our smart little kiddies.

Beth Hikes said...

wow something to fondly remember!

Always appreciate reading about your heart so I left a blog award for you at Hint:)

Cynthia L. H. said...

Yep. Some things are just absolutely sacrosanct. You demonstrated several. Stevie for sure. And your time spent with your daughter in a time-capsule moment.
:^)
Cynthia

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin