Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Einstein Didn't Sew!

The Shortest Distance Between Two Points is Anything But a Straight Line:
and Other Truisms on Amateur Sewing

Catchy isn't it?! Honestly, I'm rather enjoying my sewing adventures y'know now that I've figured out clockwise, versus counter clockwise and stopped breaking needles! Needle breaking was getting costly. Between us here, the trick to stitch length and depth and subsequent needle preservation is to use measurements, not a random combination of your two favorite numbers between one and five! I'm glad I got that all worked out!

What else? Oh! I've learned to respect the pedal, no more Danica Patrick type acceleration. I am also quite happy to report I am stitching at a comfortable even pace. Well, except for when I veer off course and have to straighten up again. The reverse stitch function thingie is for reverse stitching; it doesn't remove crooked stitches. Yep, I learned that too.


Anyone else working on anything new?

Peace and NEW! crafty endeavors

10 comments:

Jennifer said...

LOL! Sewing with you sounds like it would be fun :)

I am still a little uneven with the pedal. There's a little part of me that believes that somehow the lead foot will make the project go faster, until everything gets all out of control :(

mairedodd said...

got my resin in the mail today and am chomping at the bit to get at it! i too have begun sewing for fun with a little handheld... but 'back in the day' my grandmother and i made my prom dress! it's great when you get in the zone... the machine humming and the fabric flowing past you... have to find room for the full sized... have fun!

shiborigirl said...

Haha! The idea of the back stitch function undoing crooked stitches... now THAT would be genius!

I've been repainting our kitchen for the past month, and I'm finally done. If I'd known how much work it was going to be, I'm sure I would never have started in the first place.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving...

Kate

A Cuban In London said...

This post resonated big time with me because my daughter has taken up sewing and she is only eight. She does have a creative nature (I guess that's after her mum and dad :-D).

Thanks for popping by and I hope you enjoyed that fabulous series on writing by Zadie Smith. The best is yet to come, though.

Greetings from London.

Barbara said...

Looking forward to seeing what all of the new knowledge produces. I wish I had new projects underway, but not yet.

Kathy said...

I am self taught too and there are still so many things I don't understand and that I don't do right....but I love to sew and always have. Just enjoy it. Can't wait to see what you make!

Cynthia L. H. said...

Love it! ;^) I understand completely!
I have my Grandmother's old sewing machine, which still works great, but has a mind of its own!!! Every once in a while, I can be stitching along at a nice, even pace, when it takes off in a demon fit!
;^)
(Which, considering that Grandma was quite the angel, is VERY puzzling.)
;^)
My WORST sewing machine memory is of junior high sewing class. The machines did not have floor pedals, but knee ones, attached to the table. I accidentally hit it and the needle went through my best-friend's finger!!!! AUGGGHHHH!!!!!

Unknown said...

needle breaking drives me insane!

when you get this sewing thing down, you're gonna be goooooood! :-D

High Desert Diva said...

Sewing still makes me crazy.

Unknown said...

ok, the reverse stitch reference is hilarious! don't know how i obverlooked it the first time.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin