Sunday, June 7, 2009

Tales of Trash and Treasure

My latest local Goodwill finds

These little lovelies are my latest Goodwill finds and current WIPs (progress pics to follow). Whilst out back stripping, sanding and, replacing hardware, I got to thinking. Oh no not thinking, again!

I wondered, who owned these two pieces of furniture? What are/were they like? Why'd they donate them, did they belong to a great aunt who transitioned? Was the funky little chair with the General Store decor-which was handmade by the way, a grandmother's favorite chair, did she clip coupons and sip her morning coffee there?

Through the years and the moves, we've parted with more than a few pieces of furniture. At a time when sustainability and frugality were oft-unspoken and seldom heard. Where is my paternal grandmother's chiffarobe, our first sofa in all its orange, brown and mustard splendor? And how about my nursing chair; is a sweet, new wee one nursing there?

Have you any Tales of Trash and Treasure?

Peace and renewal

11 comments:

Clarity said...

I think that my hand-me-downs from strangers would be old books. I enjoy buying early hardbacks of my favourite or soon to be favourite authors. Even the smell and feel of old books alludes to the enjoyment and feelings of the previous owners, most of them were reading the books before I was born. I adore that.

A Cuban In London said...

You know what made me smile the most in your wonderful post? The word 'chiffarobe'. In Spanish we say 'chiforrober' and it derives from that term. At the beginning I thought it came from the English phrase 'chest of drawers' but then I read Maya Angelou's first volume of her autobiography and the word was there in all its beauty. Many thanks for such a fantastic post and picture.

Greetings from London.

Jennifer said...

During my grad school years I had a bowling shirt with the name "Donna" stitched on the collar. That was probably my favorite trash to treasure :)

Kwana said...

These are beautiful. I have a few. My current tv stand is an old sewing table with the machine still in in. I can't help but wonder what garment were made and for who and by who. I hope with love.

Cecile/DreamCreateRepeat said...

I'm a big thrift store nut, but my "best" find to date remains the hand-tailored, Yves Saint Laurent men's banker pinstripe three-piece suit I picked up for my 6' 4", 150 pound son (which fit him like a glove) for $12!!

I'm always a little sad when I see charm bracelets in thrift stores....they are such personal pieces of jewelry and i know I treasure mine. I hope my daughter will keep it as a fond memory and let her granddaughters play with it!

Margaret said...

I love that chair so much! We're about to move and going garage sale shopping in a few weeks... I'm looking forward to finding some treasures:)

Barbara said...

There is always beauty in what has been handed down or passed along.

Unknown said...

i too often wonder about the previous life of used objects that i own (or rather *owned*, since i just sold/gave everything away.)

i'm also curious to know how someone is making use of something that i donated.

well, last week i sold my beloved large, round sewing table (which i purchased second hand nearly 8 yrs. ago) to a lady who plans to refinish it and use at as a dining table at the family cabin. that made me smile.

great finds.

Beth Hikes said...

You just brought up the hardest thing for me to imagine. Who has all those things I left along the way? Hmmmm...I'll have to think on this awhile :)

Love the shape of your new chairs!

{S.T.U.F.F.} said...

Little late checking in on this one.
Meet Charlie. He's my ultimate example of One Man's Trash...

Victoria said...

I have tons of old photos, bought at flea markets and antique shops, all of people i don't know. I often wonder about who they were and the lives they lived... Who they loved, and what they did, and how they wound up for sale in an old dusty box tucked in a corner, far from their home.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin